But I'll Do Anything To Get Out Of It!

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

surprise!


Something happened over the weekend that I never thought possible. Something I never imagined could happen to me...

My husband threw me a surprise party and it worked! I did not suspect a thing. He plotted, planned and executed perfectly.

My birthday is this coming Wednesday and the day is jammed packed with activities that would not allow me to spend my normal Wednesday with my mom nor spend time with Brad and the kids in the evening. So I thought nothing of planning a casual birthday dinner at a restaurant up the street to celebrate.

I also had asked Brad not to get me anything this year -- I felt no need to spend the extra cash when there was nothing I really needed. So I was ecstatic (not suspicious) at the suggestion that he and the kids clean the entire house as a gift to me. They did this while I was out getting my hair did (my true present anyway...to myself). So due to the fresh highlights and skilled blow out by "my girl", even after a windy soccer game and a lax effort to get ready for dinner, I didn't actually look horrendous when I walked in my door to an unexpected kitchen full of people.

The funniest thing is meanwhile in the midst of his secret planning -- I was conjuring up my own birthday party at a bar for the following weekend with the same guest list. Boy, did I confuse some people!

It was a great party filled with the people I care about most. It warms my heart to know that Brad would go through all that trouble (because I am not easy to surprise) and that all of those people were there just for me. It has made turning the old 35 a lot more acceptable.

So kudos to Brad and thank you to everyone else!

That's A LOT of candles!

3 comments:

dawn said...

Happy Birthday Jen!!!!!!!

SarahHub said...

How nice! I LOVE the look on your face in the first photo!

Happy birthday!

Unknown said...

Awww ... what a guy! Just peeking in on your blog - I saw you leave a comment on another blog and I am nosey (ha, ha). Have a great day!!