But I'll Do Anything To Get Out Of It!

Monday, June 29, 2009

beach trip high and low points

We just got back from our 1 week beach vacation to Gulf Shores. We had a really full week with lots of ups and downs. Relaxing walks on the beach, treasure hunts, sand castles, crashing waves, beautiful sunsets and whiny car rides, salt-watery eyes, sunburns and sandy beds. So eventful, I thought I'd focus on the best and the worst of the trip.


BEST
Two nights of the week, the boys went to the wharf to fetch fresh shrimp and crab for our very own shrimp boil. The boys did ALL of the cooking and we had a feast. Seafood, potatoes, pasta, corn on the cob, bread and watermelon. The food was better than any evening we spent at a restaurant and half the price. That's what I'm talking about....





WORST

On about day 4 of our trip, Peyton woke up saying that her feet hurt. I examined them only to find them red and a little swollen. I chalked it up to discomfort from walking on the sand for a couple of days (mine were a little sore too). Throughout the day she started walking on her tip-toes from the pain. By the evening she had developed large welts (bites) on the bottoms of her feet. We called the pharmacy and urgent care to get their advice and both said to treat with benedryl and cortisone cream on the bites throughout the day. Over the next 24 hours Peyton had given up walking, so she had to be taxied around from room-to-room, house to house and to the beach. Her feet looked awful. I really struggled with whether to take her up to the urgent care to be seen, but was afraid to spend the $170 for the visit to get the instruction to do just what I was doing. After searching the Internet, I had come to the conclusion that what she had was probably sand flea bites and the treatment advised was just what I had done. Finally, she had awoken feeling better and looking better. I had made the right decision! Today she is back to her normal running, dancing jumping self. On the car ride home, I took a picture of her healing feet (I wish I had remembered to take a photo when they were at their worst -- but photography was the farthest thing from my mind.) Glad that's over with!

No comments: